Monday, October 10, 2011

Extreme Couponing/ Extreme Lack of Tact

My sister is amazing, and that should preface any sentence I ever write about her. ex: My sister is amazing and she took out the trash today. My sister is amazing and she doesn't eat pork chops.

My sister is amazing, and one of the reasons for that is that she knows how to use coupons to her advantage. Combining her know-how with hubs' restraint/loathing of coupons has made me into some kind of a weird hybrid shopper. Hubs says I can only use coupons to buy things that we would have otherwise purchased, which makes sense to me. But on the other hand, sometimes I can get free things that we normally wouldn't purchase but could use, and this is a tough sell for hubs. If I want to get the free items, I have to wait until he is preoccupied and get them myself, under the cloak of darkness wearing a balaclava. When he finds said free objects in our house, I have to convince him that I have had the item for a long time. It's a delicate dance, marriage is.

And speaking of marriage, things have been weird lately. Not so much with hubs and I, we are pretty status quo. Other people- people on the outside- have been giving me their unbridled and unwanted opinions about my upcoming nuptials. I've heard things that range from "So, are you really going to go through with it?" to the more extreme "You are making a huge mistake." The people doing the nay-saying are friends, relatives, ex-boyfriends... but nobody who has ever seen our relationship in action, which makes me suspicious. I get the feeling that the world is down on marriage in general, not just specifically mine. Yes, it pisses me off to have to politely deflect these statements. In fact, I think something so bold and blunt should be met with equal force: "Yes, I am going through with it, but you're not invited anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment